Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC is the obstetrical and gynecological teaching hospital of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and UPMC Health System. The hospital is adjacent to the medical school and its other teaching hospitals, as well as the undergraduate campus of the University of Pittsburgh.
Magee is a world-class center for women’s health and is ranked among the top hospitals in the nation for gynecological care. UPMC is a genuinely integrated health delivery system and operates more than 20 academic, community, and specialty hospitals, more than 500 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, employs nearly 3,600 physicians, and is the largest non-governmental employer in Pennsylvania with 60,000 employees.
Approximately 10,000 babies are born at Magee each year, accounting for 45 percent of all births in Allegheny County. The inpatient obstetrical and gynecological service includes 363 total licensed beds including 77 neonatal intensive care unit beds (69 Level III, 8 Level II), 22 LDRPs, 134 Med/Surg beds, 110 obstetrical beds, and 20 ICU beds. In addition, Magee has 20 Transitional Care Unit beds. The ambulatory care units and emergency services for obstetrics and gynecology are conveniently located in the hospital. There are approximately 67,500 patient visits to the Outpatient Clinic and neighborhood satellite clinics each year. During the last academic year, there were 9,197 obstetrical deliveries including 2720 cesarean sections (C/S rate = 30%) and more than 6,000 gynecological procedures were conducted.
The Emergency Department underwent a complete renovation in January of 2014 and consists of 22 private rooms, a large workstation for residents and providers, and a new resuscitation room to manage all forms of obstetrical, gynecological, and medical emergencies. In addition, an ultrasound machine and technician are present in the ED 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There were over 27,000 ED patient visits during the last academic year of which 35% were obstetrical or gynecologic visits.
Additional facilities and services include:
- A dedicated Ob/Gyn Ultrasound unit (sonography physicians are all obstetrician gynecologists)
- A reproductive genetics unit
- An onsite library with staff and expertise to pull articles and perform literature searches
- Extensive clinical, basic, and translational research resources (including the Magee-Womens Research Institute)
- Multiple on-site simulation tools and programs
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Skills Certification Training for Residents
- Robotic Training Network Curriculum, Mimic Robotic Simulator, Intuitive Backpack Robotic Simulator
- Peter M. Winter Institute for Simulation, Education and Research (WISER) located approximately one block from the hospital; the full service multidisciplinary medical simulation center of the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC.
- Dual-console robotic gynecologic surgery